The Dominguez & Jones Wealth Management Group, An Independent Company takes Elder Abuse very seriously.
Elder abuse is the misuse or theft of financial resources, as well as physical and psychological abuse of an elder.
Examples are as follows:
- Change in Transaction Patterns, such as frequent or large cash withdrawals, drastic shifts in investment style, liquidation of securities or a sudden need for new credit.
- Addition of an ATM or Debit Card especially when the activity is not typical for the senior client.
- Drafting a new Power of Attorney that the client does not seem to understand or the POA conducting transactions that appear to benefit themselves and not the account owner. Follow the procedures and do not skip the identification procedures when a representative makes requests or a new Power of Attorney is presented.
- A new companion with the client who seems to be directing the client’s decisions.
- Signs of intimidation or reluctance to speak in the presence of a caregiver.
- Inability to contact the senior client due to someone screening the calls.
- Isolation from friends and family.
- A high number of checks payable to the same payee.
- Request for changes in account owners, address changes or request for account information by someone claiming to be helping the client.
If you suspect an elder abuse problem please let us know; we have a process to report such activity.